Teacher: Mrs Mifflin/Mrs Rome
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Yorke
Terms 1 & 2
Our class topic this term is “The Romans”.
Here are some of the things we will be doing and learning about this term:
- “Journey” style stories, using “Journey to Jo’burg” by Beverley Naidoo as inspiration.
- Focus on punctuating speech correctly in narrative.
- Instruction texts.
- Recount texts.
- Nonsense and Humour Poetry
- Applying knowledge of number and place value to order numbers – positive and negative.
- Rounding whole numbers from the nearest ten to the nearest million.
- Written and mental methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers and decimals.
- Strategies for problem solving and reasoning.
- Electricity – how it was discovered and how it is used in today’s world.
- Investigating circuits and symbols for drawing circuits
- Forces – how we use them in our everyday lives to our advantage.
- Air resistance, gravity, water resistance and friction.
- E-safety – how to remain safe online, information sharing, security of websites and passwords.
- Searching for information safely.
- What is a computer?
- Romans and their contribution to modern life.
- Julius Caesar and Claudius.
- The armies and invasions.
- The Roman withdrawal from Britain and the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
|DT / Art
- Art – sculpture – Roman busts.
- D.T – construction – mechanics and electronics.
- Invasion games – working and playing as a team, using attacking and defensive strategies in the context of football and rugby.
- Science and Creation – conflicting or complementary?
- Why do some people believe in God and others do not?
- Singing – working towards understanding the beat and rhythm of songs and music.
- Studying and learning Carole King’s “You’ve got a Friend”.
- Five ways to wellbeing.
- School values.
- Valuing Differences.