Teacher: Mrs Mifflin/Mrs Redpath
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Yorke
Terms 1 & 2
Our class topic this term is “The Ancients”.
Here are some of the things we will be doing and learning about this term:
- Adventure stories – inspired by our Mayan class text, “Middleworld”.
- Newspaper reports and journalistic writing.
- Letter writing.
- Comprehension – with a focus on retrieval and inference.
- Spelling and grammar rules.
- Applying knowledge of number and place value to order numbers – positive and negative.
- Rounding whole numbers from the nearest ten to the nearest million.
- Written and mental methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers and decimals.
- Strategies for problem solving and reasoning.
- Electricity – how it was discovered and how it is used in today’s world.
- Investigating circuits and symbols for drawing circuits.
- Forces – how we use them in our everyday lives to our advantage.
- Air resistance, gravity, water resistance and friction.
- E-safety – how to remain safe online, information sharing, security of websites and passwords.
- Searching for information safely.
- What is a computer?
- The Greeks (how culture, life and achievements have influenced and impacted present day Britain).
- The Mayans as a contrast to British history.
- The Egyptians – the first civilisation.
|DT / Art
- Art – Mayan temples – designing, making and evaluating them.
- D.T – construction – mechanics and electronics. We will be making our own cars.
- Invasion games – working and playing as a team, using attacking and defensive strategies in the context of netball and hockey.
- Gymnastics (taught by a specialist teacher).
- Science and Creation – conflicting or complementary?
- Why do some people believe in God and others do not?
- Singing – working towards understanding the beat and rhythm of songs and music.
- Studying “You’ve Got a Friend”
- Five ways to wellbeing.
- School values.
- Valuing individual differences.